This week's cover art for the NEW YORK TIME MAGAZINE (NYTM) is real!!!
The image is by PARIS, FRANCE-born Artist/Photographer JR.
JR is known for pasting giant photographs on urban surfaces all over the world.
About six weeks ago, NYTM met with JR to discuss a project for their issue, WALKING NEW YORK.
Earlier this month, JR photographed 16 people who arrived in New York within the last year and made their portraits while they walked down the streets.
For the cover, they zeroed in on ELMAR ALIYEV, a 20-year-old waiter at OLD BAKU, an Azerbaijani restaurant on Ditmas Avenue in BROOKLYN.
ELMAR immigrated to the United States from AZERBAIJAN last August after he won the green-card lottery.
Here is a list and a map of the locations of JR’s pastings:
1. Tamar Zhvania: Thompson Street between Spring and Broome Streets, Manhattan
2. Lisa Cargana Barrios Blanco: Little West 12th Street at Washington Street, Manhattan
3. Jonathan Saint-Jean: West 18th Street at 10th Avenue, Manhattan
4. Thinh Hoang: West 23rd Street between 10th and 11th Avenues, Manhattan
5. Tatiana Fursenko: Main and Water Streets, Dumbo, Brooklyn
6. Ping Ping Lin: North 10th Street between Wythe and Berry Streets, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
7. Maksim Khimchanka: Broadway between Hooper and Keap Streets, South Williamsburg, Brooklyn
8. Mariela Goicochea: Parkside Avenue at Flatbush Avenue, Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Brooklyn
9. Aboubacar Sidiki Cisse: Pioneer Street at Imlay Street, Red Hook, Brooklyn
10. Mitsuhiro Kawano: Coffey Street at Conover Street, Red Hook, Brooklyn
11. Marian Fadel: 43rd Street at Greenpoint Avenue, Sunnyside, Queens
12. Julio César Fernández Carbot: 43rd Street at Greenpoint Avenue, Sunnyside, Queens
13. Kamola Akilova: Grand Concourse, between East 165th and East 166th Streets, Bronx
14. Elibenia Polanco: Richmond Terrace between Franklin and York Avenues, Staten Island
Marvel at the photographs, map the walks, read the stories, and create your own journey for the NEW YORK TIMES MAGAZNE WALKING NEW YORK ISSUE.