What prompted the good people at THE NEW ORLEANS TRIBUNE to designate the assault on BLACK MALES In AMERICA as their story of the year???
Consider 18-year-old MICHAEL BROWN Jr. in FERGUSON, MO, 34-year-old ERIC GARNER in STATEN ISLAND, NY, and 12-year-old TAMIR RICE in CLEVELAND, OH - all of whom were BLACK MALES who suffered tragic deaths at the hands of WHITE MALE POLICE OFFICERS.
* Only 45 percent of Black males graduate from high school.
* Thirty-two percent of all students suspended from school are Black (most of them are male).
UNEMPLOYMENT And ECONOMICS:
* At comparable education levels, Black men earn 67 percent of what White men make.
* White males with a high school diploma are just as likely to have a job and tend to earn just as much as Black males with college degrees.
* Forty-five percent of Black children live below the poverty line, compared to 16 percent of White children.
* Blacks, who comprise 12 percent of the population and 13 percent of drug users, constitute 35 percent of all arrests for drug possession, 55 percent of all convictions on drug charges and 74 percent of all those sentenced to prison for possession.
* Blacks comprise 12 percent of the country’s population, but 44 percent of all prisoners in the United States.
* A young Black male in American is more likely to die from gunfire than was any soldier in Vietnam.
* The U.S. Department of Justice estimates that one out of every 21 Black men can expect to be murdered.
* More than 1.46 million Black men out of a total voting population of 10.4 million have lost their right to vote because of felony convictions.
The November/December 2014 issue is devoted to telling the unpleasant truths about the conditions of BLACK MEN In AMERICA.
From the double-digit unemployment that outpaces any other group to police brutality and negative stereotypes, to negative images perpetuated by media and pop culture... this is The ASSAULT On BLACK MEN And BOYS In AMERICA.